‘Talking of photography, Durrell’, he said at the end of tea, ‘have you seen that film young Attenborough brought back from Africa on that lioness… you know, Elsa? It was reared by that Adamson woman.’
‘No sir,’ I said, ‘Unfortunately, I missed it.’
He glanced at his watch. ‘They’re repeating it this afternoon,’ he said, ‘so we’ll catch it, eh?’
So the greatest living biologist and I perched on upright chairs in front of the television and Huxley switched the set on. In silence we watched Joy Adamson chasing Elsa, Elsa chasing Joy Adamson, Joy Adamson lying on top of Elsa, Elsa on top of Joy Adamson, Elsa in bed with Joy Adamson, Joy Adamson in bed with Elsa, and so on, interminably. At lasy the show ended and Huxley ;eant fprward and switched off the set. He mused for a moment. I was silent.
‘D’you know what, Durrell?’ he asked suddenly.
I wondered what penetrating and lucid commentary on animal behaviour the greatest living English biologist was going to vouchsafe to me.
‘What, sir?’ I asked, and waited breathlessly for his answer.
‘It’s the only case of lesbianism I have ever seen between a human being and a lioness,’ he said, quite seriously.
After that, I felt that any further conversation would be an anti-climax, so I left."
Gerald Durrell was considering setting up his own conservation zoo on Jersey Island (now very successful) and was visiting various eminent figures for their advice. Among them was Sir Julian Huxley. This would have been in 1958 or 1959.
Quote from ‘The Ark’s Anniversary’ by Gerald Durrell.
[via flynn-the-cat](via lgbtlaughs)
- griffinfire likes this
- obscenemanatee likes this
- howcloseis reblogged this from lgbtlaughs
- undermycamoskirt reblogged this from lgbtlaughs
- artifactrix reblogged this from fyeahqueervintage
- tiltingheartand likes this
- that-hot-blood-grew-cold likes this
- grayandrainbows reblogged this from lgbtlaughs
- kiralovesryuk reblogged this from lgbtlaughs
- kiralovesryuk likes this
- shrikestrike reblogged this from fyeahqueervintage
- the-dowager-empress reblogged this from deviatesinc
- deviatesinc reblogged this from fyeahqueervintage
- saloiq likes this
- carrotcupcake likes this
- ducktothefuture likes this
- onceuponabetsy likes this
- minishishi likes this
- tanbureru reblogged this from lgbtlaughs
- spinningdust reblogged this from fyeahqueervintage
- adventuresoftinydyke likes this
- asksilvaandpatch likes this
- melthedestroyer likes this
- codaking likes this
- problematick likes this
- beili likes this
- tehriz reblogged this from fyeahqueervintage
- airinie likes this
- skankabelle likes this
- loggingmolly likes this
- ericclappy likes this
- butterfly-effect reblogged this from fyeahqueervintage
- fuckmedapperqueer reblogged this from fyeahqueervintage
- happinessbook likes this
- simplesignifier likes this
- the-dowager-empress likes this
- mls-classics likes this
- choowy likes this
- red-fairy reblogged this from fyeahqueervintage
- wildehack likes this
- kjc03 likes this
- red-fairy likes this
- fyeahqueervintage reblogged this from lgbtlaughs
- fourofthem likes this
- foilfaerie reblogged this from lgbtlaughs
- damnitwhatisthecatdoing likes this
- thenerdyflirt likes this
- angeladellamuerta reblogged this from h-monkey
- h-monkey reblogged this from jetbunny